Saturday, August 1, 2009

American Gothic - American Doxic


Several years ago I created an illustration which I named American Doxic, a Dachshund parody of American Gothic, the classic painting by Grant Wood. I didn't like how my weiner dogs turned out (see below), so after about 6 months I discontinued the design, intending to someday re-do the dachsies.


I recently completed the new version, using the original background I had created in 2002 with its weenie dog whirligig and bone-pattern curtains but with all new doxies. The farmer's wife also has a dashund cameo and rabbit patterned dress for extra weiner dog fun. This fresh version with either two red Dachshunds or one red and one black and tan and are now available on a bunch of products in my Cafe Press shop.
I framed a print of the new version for myself and it always makes people laugh. I think it is one of my favorites.
The original Grant Wood image and my old version with its weird dogs are also shown here. You can see why I retired the first version so quickly! My mother has an old t-shirt of the original design and gets comments whenever she wears it while I stand by and cringe as she directs them to "the artist".

No comments: