Saturday, July 12, 2008

The Return of the Blog

I've just spent a ridiculous amount of time tweaking the colors and graphics of this blog template. I still can't figure out why it has light colored cuffs at the bottom like bad 70's bell bottom pants, but for now I am going to let it go.

It has been over a year since I posted last. In that time I have created a whole lot of new art. I tried to keep up with a "New" page I created for http://www.wiener-dog.com/, but there are few things more tedious than updating my own HTML code. I taught myself web coding and design over 10 years ago so I am pretty old-school about writing my own code and not using a WYSIWYG editor. Some day I really should give in and teach myself to use Adobe Dreamweaver. I'm pretty sure Adobe already owns my soul; I have been captivated by PhotoShop for about a dozen years and in the last year or so Illustrator CS2 has had me totally enchanted. As I get more and more into the Live Trace features of the program I find I have barely picked up a real paint brush in the last six months. Illustrator allows me to make clean vector art that actually looks like my style rather than like a coloring book outline. Yea! Here is one of my more recent illustrations, done for Colorado Dachshund Rescue:
The image above is the first I've ever done for Colorado Dachshund Rescue http://coloradodachshundrescue.org/. An interesting side note about this rescue organization - Teresa was one of two people who originally wrote me back in 1998 about my Dachshund art and got me started on this crazy path. The other was Kelly Page Gathers with Dachshund Rescue of North America http://www.drna.org/. All these years later it is still a thrill that they use the logo I designed for them on their website. I should also mention that without having drawn my first weiner dogs for my mom none of the above would have happened.

I willl be putting up lots more pictures as I post, of all sorts of art - different dog breed, cats, creatures, critters. It is taking a little longer these days because I am pasting my copyright information on all of these images here since I have found some folk will actually try to copy and sell my work - flattering only until you realize that this is how I make a living. For now I fear if I don't publish this one I'll never get to the next one!

No comments: